Friday, February 18, 2011

MY SWORD AND PLOWSHARE STORY :)

Please Click On This Link And Listen To Melanie Safka Sing
Peace Will Come


Me:  "Reverend Sara,can I talk to you for a minute, please?
I know you're really busy. But I hafta ask you a question,OK?"
Reverend Sara:  "Sure Lisa,ask away. I always have time for questions."
Me:  "Reverend Sara, what's a sword?"
Reverend Sara:  "Hmmm. Gudd question. A sword is a weapon people
used to use a long time ago in battles. They used them for fighting."

Me:  "What's a catapult?"
Reverend Sara:  "Well...  A catapult is a bigger weapon they used to
use in the old days to hurt people with."

Me:  "This is a real important question, Reverend Sara. What's a
gun???"
Reverend Sara:  "That IS a real important question, Lisa. A gun
is a weapon to hurt people with bullets and used to maim and
kill
people and animals."

Me:  "What's a rifle?"
Reverend Sara:  "A rifle is a long gun used to shoot from long distances."

Me:  "What's a handgun, Reverend Sara?"
Reverend Sara: "A handgun is a short gun that isn't so accurate at
long distances."
Me:  "So, Reverend Sara, if long guns are gudd for shooting from
far away, they use them for shooting pretty birds, cute deers and
bears and stuff?"
Reverend Sara:  "Yes, Lisa. You sure are a smart girl."
Me:  "Now this is another important question. What are handguns for?
Animals always run away, and you can only
hit things close up with a
handgun?
Are handguns designed to kill other people, Reverend Sara,
ARE they???"
Reverend Sara:  "Yes, Lisa, yes they are. They're only designed for
killing
other people.
People practice target shooting,
but besides hitting fake targets their only purpose is to kill people."
Me: "OH MY GOD!!! [And I cried for awhile when we talked...]. That's horrible."

Now You Should Click On This Link And Listen To Melanie Sing
Beautiful People

Me:  "What's a missile, Reverend Sara?"
Reverend Sara:  "A missile is a rocket designed to carry bombs."
Me:  "Yamean like to hit buildings and stuff?"
Reverend Sara:  "Yes, Lisa."
Me:  "ONO!!! WHY!!! Oh my. That's horrible."

Me:  "Reverend Sara, what's a nuclear bomb?"
Reverend Sara:  "A nuclear bomb is the worst thing ever invented.
It's a bomb so strong it destroyed two whole cities in an instant.
One was called Hiroshima and the other was called Nagasaki.
Hundreds of thousands died right away,
and thousands and thousands suffered for years
all burnt and stuff with broken bones,
cancer and worse until they finally died.
Old people, kids, women, men, children, even the cats and dogs died!
All the buildings were destroyed.
It was a huge disaster.
The worst nightmare ever!!!"

Reverend Sara:  "War is horrible. And just a sin. Violence is NEVER the answer,
Lisa."
Me:  "Never. It's always the problem at home too. And so nuclear war
must be the worst kind of war. It's horrible."

Reverend Sara:  "I love you sooooo much, Lisa. You are so gentle,
kind, loving, considerate and thoughtful.
You are beautiful, too.
I pray that you never see any war, like I had to.
I pray that all violence ends today.
I especially pray that nuclear war never happens again!"
Me:  "Me too! I pray that too!!! We prayed together! Yippee!"

Reverend Sara:  "Promise me you'll always work for peace, Lisa? Please?"
Me:  "I already do. I am right now."


Reverend Sara:  "What a smart girl, you really are. You ARE
working for peace right now. Who sent you into my office just now?
Me:  "Jesus."

Me:  "A plowshare is the metallic blade of the plows of old. The remainder
of the plow was almost exclusively made of wood.
The notion that swords should be melted and
the molten metal converted
into plowshares
is symbolic
of
the
peace
movement personified by Christ
and still relevant,
even more so today than
when Jesus walked,
Reverend Sara.
Me[again]:  "And it means you should use your sermons to preach for peace.
Huh? Right?"
Reverend Sara:  "Yes, Lisa, you're right.
Me:  "How come you never give sermons about ending war
and anti-nuclear bombs, and stuff?  Why??? How come? Please start. OK?"

Here's Another Song Sung By Melanie, This One's A Song She Sang At A Place Called Woodstock
Candles in the Rain

Reverend Sara:  "Well, Lisa, sometimes people in church don't
want to hear these things,
and I hafta tell them what I think they CAN hear."

Me:  "Do you mean what you think they CAN hear, Reverend Sara, or
what you think they WANT to hear?
I think we need to hear about Jesus, and Unconditional Love,
justice, equality, ending war, non-violence, and understanding ALL the time.
I think Jesus said a lot that was hard for people to hear but He said it anyway.
I think he stood up for his convec...   cinvi...  how do you say it??  His convictions!
I think you should say Jesus, name and the word 'love' a whole lot more in
church, and not just on Sunday mornings.
And I think you should tell people on Sunday mornings just like you just
told me about Hiroshima and Nagasaki just now!!!"

Me:  "Saying the truth and standing up against violence is the only
way to end it once and for all. Then everybody will be happy.

Me:  "I KNOW that if you preach more about ending war and violence
and if you talk about Jesus and Love a lot more on Sunday mornings and
the rest of the time that I'll sure be happier!!!  :-D"

Reverend Sara:  "Jesus certainly did send you! What a gudd girl.
And what a great little messenger.
I will spend my sermon next Sunday talking about war, guns,
nuclear bombs, Love and I will say Jesus' name a lot more often.
I promise.
I'm sorry."
Me:  "That's OK, Reverend Sara. I love you."
And Reverend Sara and me, we hugged and hugged and hugged!!!
The End
For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment